Fairfax County Government is seeking an Animal Shelter Director. Please follow this link for more information on the position and how to apply:
Dogs Deserve Better Executive Director
DOGS DESERVE BETTER is seeking a highly motivated and passionate leader to serve as their Executive Director.
Dogs Deserve Better is a national and award-winning 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to freeing the chained and penned dogs, and bringing our best friends into the home and family. Our mission is to free them through education, rescue and rehabilitation, grassroots legislation, and fencing programs.
The Executive Director is the Chief Executive Officer of Dogs Deserve Better. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for the organization's consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives.
The Executive Director will:
- Assure that the organization has a long-range strategy which achieves its mission, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
- Provide leadership in developing program, organizational and financial plans and carry out plans and policies authorized by the board.
- Promote active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of the organization's work.
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- See that the board is kept fully informed on the condition of the organization and all-important factors influencing it.
- Publicize the activities of the organization, its programs and goals.
- Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations
- Represent the programs and point of view of the organization to agencies, organizations, and the general public.
- Be responsible for the recruitment, employment, and release of all personnel, both paid staff and volunteers.
- Ensure that job descriptions are developed, that regular performance evaluations are held, and that sound human resource practices are in place.
- See that an effective management team, with appropriate provision for succession, is in place.
- Be responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices.
- Work with the Staff, Finance Committee, and the board in preparing a budget; see that the organization operates within budget guidelines.
- Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work.
- Jointly, with the board of directors, conduct official correspondence of the organization, and jointly, with designated officers, execute legal documents.
- Responsible for overseeing fundraising efforts to support a 400,000 plus dollar annual budget
Ideal Candidate will have:
5-10 years experience managing and motivating professional staff and volunteers. 4 year degree preferred but not required with minimum 10 years experience.
Non-profit/Profit organization experience required.
Possess passion for animals
Excellent writing and public speaking skills
Solid, mature presence and handles himself or herself well dealing with external relationships.
Fundraising and development experience
Understand the importance of social media
Managing projects and budgets
Managing social media
Grant writing experience
Flexibility and the willingness to do tasks normally considered outside CEO responsibilities.
The Executive Director position is a dream position for an energetic, smart and compassionate person to step into! The salary is $55,000 annually. The job requires the executive director to work on site with only occasional telecommuting. The position also offers the director, if needed, an available bedroom at the house on the Dogs Deserve Better site.